Friday, September 21, 2007

Fire on the mountain




Eden, Wyoming



a poem



Eden, Wyoming

Population 220

Tiny houses, big land
One room, log cabin church

Driveway of dirt

Flat, but the mountains,

Like beckoning ghosts,

Always calling from just over the horizon

One Sinclair gas station

No dinosaur

And then,

Farms, cows, dust

Scraggly tree and bored crow

Miles and miles of camoflauge countryside

Not my idea of paradise, really.


Hi there. It's me again. I'm back.


Eduardo said he'd like me to continue the blog. I like Eduardo, and sometimes he handles my legal affairs on the cheap, so I've decided to oblige his request. I'm cool like that.

So, after Polebridge, we began to make the long trek back home. We cut across Montana, through Idaho, and into Washington. We travelled scenic byways and highways, through forests, down coasts, over bridges, under big sky, on the occasional dirt road, and up several driveways.




So, when we were in Monatana, the Bob Marshall Wilderness Reserve was on fire, and that was visible for over 300 miles (Holy Smokes!); there was a big fire near the Idaho border, which we saw from the highway. Helicopters that looked like determined blue-bottle flies would hover over enormous plumes of smoke and drop gallons of water below. The water gushed out, like rain through a funnel, but it never seemed nearly enough to stem the flames or even break through the smoke. The air was acrid and our eyes got squinty. It was a bad scene, blogstahs. We figured it was probably the fault of people, as opposed to lightning strike. As Smokey, says, "Remember: only you can prevent forest fires." After this we learned a valuable lesson and pee-peed out the window for the rest of our trip.

Oh my goodness! I just realized how ahead of myself I have gotten! I have completely omitted what may have been my favorite day in Glacier; the day of the hike! It was fabulous! Pretend like you aven't read this post, then read the next one, then come back. Damn linear time! Cursed natural progression!

No comments: