Friday, July 20, 2007

Yellowstone, part one



OLD FAITHFUL

OK, did you read the blog? I said, "We almost got arrested!" Maybe this will refresh your memory:


Anyhoo, we spent a FANTASTIC day in Yellowstone. The park is truly amazing; it is lush and desolate, mysterious and overt, inviting and forbidding. I loved it. We started the day doing what all tourists do, Old Faithful. Having never paid attention in any of my public school geography classes nor my university geology classes, I had no idea how powerful it is. Since Yellowstone sits over a barely contained super-volcano, gases and water mix to fill roiling tunnels that beg for release from the incredible pressure. They are also full of sulphur, so they spume a 30 foot plume of fart all over the masses. I liked that. (See Photo)



The other geological features were really cool. Different bacterias and microorganisms survive and flourish at different temperatures in the boiling hot pools, which get up to 220 degrees. That, and minerals that are leached out of the earth, form remarkable colors in some of the pools. One of them looks suspiciously like my dad's colon x-rays.





Since it was already a thousand degrees, we decided to tour the park. Oh the things that we saw! Adventure around every corner! First we saw a hungry looking marmot or muskrat or really fat squirrel. Terrifying. Then, chipmunks. Then, a bison bigger than an SUV! He had mischief in his eye. Low and behold he charged a tourist. As McAdams screamed like a little girl, I knew I had to get out of the car and take action. With only a lint encrusted peppermint that I had in my pocket, I lured him off the road. The tourists all applauded madly as I looked that bison (or buffalo; I'm not sure of the difference) square inthe eye and showed him who's who and what's what. Then I shot him. Score one for the humans. Your hummers are always safe, as long as I am around. (Don't worry Adrian! I'm just kidding! He was rolling around in the dust to cool himself! Bison don't even like mints, though they are partial to lint!)


Just thinking about my heroics exhausts me. I'll sleep on it tonight, and resume yesterday's adventures tomorrow.

*********************************BONUS PHOTOS***********************************


1. Look at that rack!

2. And that one, too!

3. Good omens abound


2 comments:

Little Salty said...

Wow! The Mc Baboos! Amazing!

So exciting is your trip! Jack at WF inquired after you. I told him to check the blog, but I don't think he really will.

Can't wait for the next installment, although feel free to refrain from it since now you know that on vacation, you are supposed to you know, vacation.

Yours,
She who makes the mouth pucker.

maribeth said...

Very cool blog, dina--one of the best, in fact. I am sending it to a friend to demonstrate what she should do with her skills.

Excellent photos, too.