Sunday, July 22, 2007

Yellowstone, Part Two

Foot's eye view


YELLOWSTONE, PART TWO!


This is how McAdams watches the road. I'm scared, but who can blame her? P.S. Dig the convertible action, baybay!
View from the rearview - the Grand Tetons.

Ok, so where was I? Ah yes, Yellowstone. Truly amazing, and incredibly diverse. On the one hand, psychedelic pools of toxic liquid fire, and on the other, dense, intense forest, home to creatures both meek and terrific, but mostly horrifyingly powerful furry forest freaks, hungry for human flesh.

So, after we checked out the forest for about a thousand miles, we went to a fantastic lake, on the opposite side of the enormous park, hidden in the pines, called Lake Yellowstone (very creative name-makers in Wyoming, non?). It was glacier fed and freezing cold, but crystal clear and sapphire blue. The beach was made up of tiny, round, obsidian pebbles and little salt crystals that sparkled in the sun. We both got in -McAdams before me- and made our way in the water in stages; first the legs to the knees, then water on the thighs, to the hips, flooding the bellybutton (perhaps the cruelest shock of all!), to the waist. Freezing, I tell you. By the time my arms were in up to the elbows, my legs were numb. With every advancement, a high-pitched squeal involuntarily escaped my lips, and when I was in up to my chest, my heart started pounding wildly and the surprise of the icy cold took my breath away. "Took my breath away" has always been sort of a romantic expression to me, more of a descriptive platitude than a reality, like, "Oh my Gawd! When Tom Jones GYRATED, it LIT-RULL-EE took my breath away!" This was different. For a few moments I felt as if someone had unexpectedly thrown a large pumpkin at my gut in my sleep. Don't you hate it when that happens? Here are some pictures of McAdams gliding into the water. She was a bit more graceful than I.

These pictures are lovely, but do not even begin to capture the magnitude of the sheer, serene beauty of this experience.



This is how clear the water was - see the bottom?



I got in also. You can see that the water was so cold, it made my head shrink to the size of a peanut. I can't explain why. It's physics, I think.


We lay on towels on the black beach, and gave ourselves exfoliating treatments with the obsidian chips. We did pilates and water aerobics and fell asleep for a little while as the water lapped at the shore. Then we got up, walked up the beach to a big, yellow, Victorian-stlye lodge, and lounged, sipping wine in front of a big picture window, while a string quartet played Vivaldi, or something equally classy. It was my favorite day so far, and McAdams said, "Just wait. You ain't seen nothing yet!" Coming up: Whitefish, Montana.



BONUS PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Does a bear poop in the woods? I don't know, but McAdams hacer pipi en el agua! Sulphuric fart
By the way, continued thanks for your support and kind words about the blog. Belated condolensces to Funky and Laurie, and extended congratualtions to Lydia. Beth, keep it up! Yea, you! I'm proud to be your friend-in-law! Brenda, we read a chapter of your book every night! Don't worry Big Poppa; I'll bring her home! Looking forward to seeing you, mom! I love you!

3 comments:

Rik Heller said...

Great views!

Since there are no pics of Adina, this bloggeree is getting a wee suspicious. Blogeree is not saying this is a hoax. But a pic of Adina holding up a dated periodical might fortify this bloggerees partially slightly totally unwaivering faith.

Snap more Teetons! My compliments on the tush tatoo. Harvo might be able to explain how important though dangerous they are for me.

Blog on, Garth(s)!

:)Rik

Thad Spalding said...

Amazing.

Would someone please remind me again why we live where we do and not somewhere like that?

Grizzly Ed

mcphoto said...

Greetings travelers! Queen Shanny gave me the link and thus I send felicitations from afar. And, had I known you jezebels would be galivanting in bawdy swimming-wear and strappy-tops, I'd have come along as you man-friday! Love ya A -- mc